Sunday 3 March 2013

Why Curvy Girls Can Wear Crop Tops

Living in the depths of Yorkshire, sunshine becomes something of a rarity in the winter months. After weeks of dreary weather and having neatly packaged away my summer wardrobe (admittedly mainly the same as my winter wardrobe but without thick tights) I had given up hope of venturing out in anything less than three layers until at least after Easter.

And yet this week, good old British weather surprised us all by showing us the sun. Admittedly it barely hit 10 degrees Celsius, but this didn't stop us emerging bleary eyed from our darkened rooms, blinking in the unexpected light and dashing to find the nearest bit of grass to perch on.

I even made the rookie error of racing into my hallway in a floor length chiffon skirt and jumper before being hastily reprimanded by my housemate for my over-enthusiasm and sent back to change into a sensible jeans and hoodie combo.

However, a quick restyle later, and I was eagerly diving onto my computer to see what I needed to scour ebay for in preparation for a now surely imminent premature summer. And one trend seemed to keep coming up; a phrase that makes the curvy girls heart sink: crop top.

Now, I love crop tops. Oddly 80/90s retro, a well worn crop top is sexy, fun and on-trend. But here's the problem: well-worn requires washboard abs and a pancake-flat tummy, no exceptions. At a size 12 to 14, the stratospheric rise of the crop top had me enviously eyeing up my friends last summer as I stuck to my dip-hems and securely tucked-in blouses.

That was until an impromptu night out a few weeks ago. Raiding my fashion conscious friends wardrobe, I was more than a little dubious when a long leopard print skirt and tiny top were suggested.

As soon as I put it on, I loved it. Hoisting the skirt up much higher than my size-8 friend would, only a tiny sliver of the slimmest part of my waist was revealed, house-of-mirrors style trickery that if anything made me look much smaller than a curves-covering top would have done.





Truly high-waisted bottoms are the secret to bringing curvy-girls and crop tops together. Whilst the more daring amongst us can flash a few inches of stomach, skirts and shorts can be worn so high that all is covered whilst still getting in on a fashion-friendly trend. It's the tip how-to-wear guides featuring boob tubes with low slung trousers and barely-there skirts simply don't pick up on, unfailingly flashing reams of flesh on super skinny girls.
                                         

So here's a few of the best outfits to flatter the curvy crop.



Lace Bardot Crop Top, £18, Topshop
 Midi Skirt with Pleats, £28, ASOS



                



For a beautiful retro vibe, a 50s style lacy crop top and chiffon midi skirt is perfect. Pull the skirt up a little higher than pictured and prepare to bring vintage summer style back. Remember that fitted crop tops are fine, but always go for a larger size; too tight crops are ultimately unflattering.
Kainda Wet Look Box Pleat Skater Skirt, £15.99, Missguided


Cream Floral Bralet, £9.95, Moda Chiara


Flared and high waisted, skater skirts are a wardrobe staple of any curvy girl. Due to how flattering the flared style is, you may be able to get away with a bralet, but a tshirt style crop top will work just as well. Wet-look skater skirts are currently bang on trend, and contrast brilliantly with girly floral prints.
Maddie Midi Length Tube Skirt, £8, Boohoo
Caviar Bead Mesh Top, £26, Topshop



If you're carrying extra weight up top, a tight, midi length skirt allows for you to a hide a multitude of sins by going baggier on the top half. Overlap the crop top and the skirt for a multi-purpose fashionable yet flattering look. However, be careful when deciding if a tight midi skirt is for you, as they do tend to show up all your lumps and bumps.

Remember: fashion's not just for skinny girls, and curvy ladies deserve summer fun too! Always throw away the catwalk manual; getting away with trends is all about adjusting looks to focus on your best bits.

                                              
                            

1 comment: